CALL TO ARTISTS
Opportunity: The Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History seeks landscape paintings of California’s Central Coast region, including inland as well as coastal scenes.
The Museum will award up to $2,000 for the purchase of one or more artworks for its collection.
Deadline: September 30, 2015
For more than a century, natural history museums featured extraordinary landscape paintings in dioramas and other displays. Yet many today have abandoned this tradition in favor of giving space to digital interactives. Founded in 1883, our museum believes landscape paintings offer ways for visitors to connect emotionally and personally with a natural history exhibit. Even as we update our galleries with current scientific information, landscape paintings will play a role in fostering care and concern for our region’s natural environment.
MUSEUM PURCHASE AWARDS
Up to $2,000 will be used to purchase artwork from one or more landscape painters. The selected artwork will be added to the Museum’s collection and will be displayed in a natural history gallery context.
A natural landscape in Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito, or San Luis Obispo County. Subjects may include (but are not limited to) woodlands, chaparral, ponds, rivers, or coastal environments.
Open to both established and emerging artists living anywhere in the State of California. MEDIA Paintings in oil, acrylic, pastel, or watercolor. P.G. Museum of Natural History, 165 Forest Ave, Pacific Grove, CA 93950 www.pgmuseum.org
Minimum 16” and maximum 80” in any dimension (unframed).
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PAINTINGS FOR THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
· Photograph up to eight (8) paintings.
· So that your painting receives the consideration it deserves, we recommend using a camera tripod and appropriate lighting.
· Save the photos in JPEG file format, RGB color, at least 72 dpi on the longest side.
· Image files must be under 2 MB.
· Title each file with your last name, underscore, and the location of the landscape (for example, “Smith_Salinas River”).
· Measure the size of the painting canvas without the frame, so that you can submit this information with the photograph.
· Submit your work at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com.
· Helpful information about photographing, sizing, and uploading your images is available at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need additional assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949.287.8645.
· The entry fee for the first painting you submit is $25; each additional painting is $15.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTAL: September 30, 2015
SELECTION AND EXHIBITION
· Jurying of work: October 1-15, 2015
· Notification of selection: October 16-30, 2015
· Purchase agreement completed: November 2-16, 2015
· Display of painting and publicity begins by: January 1, 2016
The decision for Natural History Museum purchase awards is final. There is no refund for unaccepted entries. Participants will be notified of selection by email through Online Juried Shows. For in-person assistance at the Museum, set up an appointment with the Exhibitions Curator, Annie Holdren. Email email@example.com or call 831.648.5716.