Houses

Parade on Central Avenue, between First Street & Eardley Avenue. About 25-30 participants include men, women, and children, many of whom hold American flag. Woman at front of column holds multi-starred service banner, and man holds banner that reads, "Pacific Grove Lodge 234 / T.F.B. Two large houses along Central Avenue in background.
Holman family gathered around front porch of their home at 769 Lighthouse Avenue. At left is derby-hatted Rensselaer Luther Holman. The house was built in 1889, and was originally this Victorian style, and was later stuccoed over to make it Spanish style. The Holman family were pioneer merchants in Pacific Grove, and owned Holman's Department Store. The store was started in 1891, when R. Luther Holman bought Towle's dry goods store on Lighthouse Avenue near 17th Street. By 1924, when the store moved over two blocks to the new location, son Wilford Holman was in charge of operations. Holman's Department Store was the largest store on the Pacific coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and Highway 68, also known as the Holman Highway, was built in part to bring customers to the establishment.
Thirteen people pose outside of early Pacific Grove house.
Hyde Cottage, originally at 138 Forest Avenue, next to Seven Gables. Moved to 14th Street & Laurel Avenue, and later to David Avenue in New Monterey. Several family members pose in front of house, including little girl with wagon.
House at 123 Forest Avenue, built in 1886 for Carrie L. Roe, a physician. By 1888, the Rich family (from Boston) lived here. Mr. Rich (leaning on fence to right of house) became town marshal in 1889, when Pacific Grove was incorporated.
n foreground (right) is house at 123 Forest Avenue, built in 1886 for Carrie L. Roe, a physician. By 1888, the Rich family (from Boston) lived here. To the left is the Wilber house, built in 1885.View of houses on the east side of Forest Avenue continues towards Lovers Point in background. Also shows wooden sidewalk.