Close-up of tourist carriage with passengers. Top has sign that reads, "SIGHTSEEING ON ALL DRIVES OF INTEREST."
Tourist carriage with passengers. Looks like same carriage as in #1005, without top. Fence and rolling hillside in background.
Mammoth Stable employees pose for a group portrait. Joseph O. Johnson, owner, in light suit at front. Joe Gardner is standing at the left.
Grocery store on Grand Avenue, next door to Eardley & Appleton's Real Estate. Fruits displayed in cartons on wooden sidewalk. Chalkboard signs read: " Gilt edge Point Reyes Butter" and "Fruits and Berries." Two women stand in store doorway, and five men stand on sidewalk. Identified on back of photo as: Stanley Sisely, George Turner [who is included in 1896 MoCo voters' registry as a merchant], Duarte with derby, Eardley, Appleton.
Post Office employees pose for group shot in front of large car, unidentified building in background. Two men wear caps with PO badges, and several of them wear Red Cross and V pinbacks, indicating this image was taken during WWI. Identified on back of photo as: (rear left to right) Elgin C. Hurlbert, Byron Douglas, Rena Willie, Mrs. Leeks, Lulu Griggs, Leslie Fritz, Frank Derby. Front row (left to right) John Orchard, John Searle, Walter McMann, Charlie Barker.
Parade on Central Avenue, between First Street & Eardley Avenue. About 25-30 participants include men, women, and children, many of whom hold American flag. Woman at front of column holds multi-starred service banner, and man holds banner that reads, "Pacific Grove Lodge 234 / T.F.B. Two large houses along Central Avenue in background.
Roy Wright standing (with his hands on his hips) in front of his hardware & bicycle store at 586 Lighthouse Avenue. On sidewalk are some of the store's wares and a bike rack. Two boys look at car converted into delivery truck, while a spaniel dog (see #1017a) sits on the passenger seat.
Portrait of early Pacific Grove resident, Roy Wright with a spaniel dog sitting on a bamboo chair.In addition to his fabulously stocked hardware store on Lighthouse Avenue, Wright was PG fire chief from 1921-1936, and also played in the Peninsula Concert Band. Wright wears a pennant-shaped Pacific Grove High School pin on his right lapel and a flower on the left lapel.
A man & woman stand next to Cogswell Fountain in Jewell Park. The metal fountain was donated to the city by temperance advocate and San Francisco dentist, Dr. Henry D. Cogswell, who made his fortune in real estate in Gold Rush-era SF and founded Cogswell Polytechnic Institute. He planned to erect water fountain/statues in cities across America in the 1880s. He hoped to build one fountain for every 100 saloons-offering the option for passersby to drink water instead of alcohol. Many of the fountains were topped with a statue of Dr. Cogswell himself, and some were defaced or removed by people who either rejected his message or found the statues unaesthetic. Several more, including the PG fountain, were melted down during WWII metal drives
Self portrait of landscape painter Albert Thomas DeRome (1889-1959) painting along the rocky coast with his small kit. DeRome was a California native and he studied at SF's Mark Hopkins Institute of Art. His work was mostly impressionistic interpretations of Western landscapes. DeRome was injured in a serious car accident in 1931, and while the resulting insurance annuity assured his living expenses, it came with a stipulation that he could not sell his paintings. Following his auto accident, DeRome recuperated on the Monterey Peninsula, and used the area's vistas for artistic inspiration. He counted many notable artists in his circle-including his mentor, William Keith, as well as Will Sparks, Percy Gray, Frank H. Meyers, and Arthur H. Gilbert-and gifted many of his works to friends. Many of the Museum's diorama cases feature backdrops painted by DeRome, and during WWII, he worked with Museum staff on a camouflage project with the Army at Fort Ord. DeRome remained in Pacific Grove until the end of his life, and is inurned in the city's El Carmelo Cemetery.
Portrait of the Museum's first curator, Mary E. B. Norton (1832-1917). She was born on November 30, 1832 in New York state, and educated at the Rockford Seminary in Illinois and in Berlin, Germany. Miss Norton taught botany and geography at public schools in the Midwest for 18 years. In 1878, she joined her brother, Professor Henry Brace Norton, at the State Normal School at San Jose, the predecessor to San Jose State University. When she left there in the late 1880s, her students presented their beloved instructor with a microscope, which is in the Museum's collection.
Lucie A. Chase and councilman & Museum Trustee Benjamin Lee at the laying of the Museum's cornerstone in 1932. Lucie Chase was born on December 21, 1842 in Plainfield, New Hampshire. She lived in New York City, Colorado Springs, and Portland before moving to Pacific Grove in 1901 with her husband, Henry. They expanded what was then know as the Page cottage at Fountain & Oceanview avenues into the grand Seven Gables. Mrs. Chase was heavily involved in her community, and helped form the Woman's Civic Improvement Club, an organization whose varied work ranged from placing street signs and trash receptacles to preventing cruelty to animals.
She was an active supporter of the Mayflower Congregational Church. Her philanthropy also extended to the Museum. In 1932, Mrs. Chase made a gift of the first wing of the current Museum building to the citizens of Pacific Grove. She called the September day when the cornerstone was laid the happiest day of her life. The Museum's opening ceremony coincided with her 90th birthday.
Group portrait of 12 members of Birks family. They are the Birks family who operated a locksmith shop on Tyler Street in Monterey. The Birks Locksmith store is still in operation Notations on the photo's back list indicate this photo belonged to R. Birks. Relationships listed are to the photo's donor, Jim Whitney: Sally Copeland (top left), who lived on 12th Street in Pacific Grove; Nettie Birks Cruses (bottom left), aunt; Nellie Birks Whitney (bottom left) aunt [the last two individuals were twins]; grandmother; Father Reiley Birks.
Holman family gathered around front porch of their home at 769 Lighthouse Avenue. At left is derby-hatted Rensselaer Luther Holman. The house was built in 1889, and was originally this Victorian style, and was later stuccoed over to make it Spanish style. The Holman family were pioneer merchants in Pacific Grove, and owned Holman's Department Store. The store was started in 1891, when R. Luther Holman bought Towle's dry goods store on Lighthouse Avenue near 17th Street. By 1924, when the store moved over two blocks to the new location, son Wilford Holman was in charge of operations. Holman's Department Store was the largest store on the Pacific coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and Highway 68, also known as the Holman Highway, was built in part to bring customers to the establishment.
Portrait of Rensselaer Luther Holman, founder of Holman's Department Store.
Thirteen people pose outside of early Pacific Grove house.
Hyde Cottage, originally at 138 Forest Avenue, next to Seven Gables. Moved to 14th Street & Laurel Avenue, and later to David Avenue in New Monterey. Several family members pose in front of house, including little girl with wagon.
Elliott family on front steps of their house. The house faced Lighthouse Avenue, and side street to left is Walnut (info from Philoma Goldsworthy). Girl on top step is Ethel Elliott. 1905 Perry Directory lists Joseph T. Elliott living at 863 Lighthouse Avenue.
THE CK TUTTLE COLLECTION
Approximately 700 photographs from the late 19th and early 20th century by Charles Kirkham Tuttle, a Pacific Grove pharmacist. The images document the formative years of Pacific Grove's history more...
High-quality reproductions of most of these images are available for purchase. To order images, please visit the Use and Reproduction page for prices and order form. If you are interested in reproducing images from the Museum's collections in a publication, please refer to the Use and Reproduction page for fee schedule, permission, and conditions of use information.
Reproduction of these images on other websites is prohibited without express permission.
Information in the annotations to the images on these webpages are derived from a number of sources, including information in the Museum's archives.