Building

Tuttle Drug Store exterior before building next door (left) erected. Store to right empty, "To Let" signs. Standing in front, on unpaved Lighthouse Avenue, from left: C.K. Tuttle holding daughter Gladys' hand, Emily Tuttle, Mrs. Edgerly, Mr. Edgerly, Arthur Edgerly. See image # 001 for similar view.
Gladys and Floyd Tuttle sit on Mellin's milk box, in front of father's drug store. Also in stack of boxes: Standard Oil Co crates, tennis rackets addressed to C.K. Tuttle.
Business block on Lighthouse, between Fountain and Grand avenues. From left: Curio Store (G.S. Gould & Co.), Burnt Work (M.E. Gregg), Hays Ice Cream Parlors, Candy Factory, furniture store, Tuttle Pharmacy. Bike rack, Tuttle women, outdoor bins on sidewalk. Moving pictures sign. Pat Hathaway indicates that images #469, #385, and #025 form panorama.
Post Office (now medical offices at 222 Forest Avenue) decorated with portrait of President McKinley, bunting, and greenery--in honor of McKinley's visit.
Public School, on Pine Avenue where Robert Down School now stands. Front porch, doors open, children and adults on ground in front. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Flag raising at Public School, on Pine Avenue where Robert Down School now stands. Front porch, doors open, man conducts children on steps, crowd watches. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Public School tower, on Pine Avenue where Robert Down School now stands. Framed by eucalyptus tree. See #050, #051, #052, #330, #552, #553, #554, #555, #556, #557, #559, and #562 for views of the Public School exterior.
Crowd around bunting-covered bandstand, house (Tuttle's mother's) with sign "OHIO" on porch (the state McKinley hailed from, as well as the Trimmer side of the Tuttle family--specifically, Ashtabula County). Fire/curfew bell on tower at left. Photo taken from garden area at El Carmelo Hotel. Young Norfolk Island Pine tree. Probably President McKinley's 1901 visit.
Winnifred Tuttle, age 12, at the switchboard of Pacific Grove's first telephone exchange. Switchboard was located in the apartment above the Tuttle pharmacy. The only other phone in town was at Dr. O.S. Trimmer's house on Laurel and 6th. Condition note: Bottom 1/3 of negative cracked in numerous places.
Looking across garden of El Carmelo Hotel towards shops between Fountain & Grand Avenues. Includes businesses across street, including: Curio/Indian Relics store, Hays Ice Cream Parlor, Tuttle Drug Store, Grocery. Top of Kent Stables visible. Norfolk Island Pines visible.
Copy of ink drawing of ruined mission. Notation on artwork reads: "Carmel Mission before Restoration / from a sketch by William Keith, also marked E. L. Pierce. Additional artwork on mat.
Trimmer Hill front parlor, showing built-in bookcases, floral rug, chairs. (Identified by Carol Mazur.) Condition note: Negative has mottled emulsion over right half, top right corner missing, edge broken.
Gladys Tuttle rides boy's bike, wears pants, while sister Winnifred looks out of shingled house window. Same people and setting in images #071 and #132.
Woman stands with chair in garden of same house as in image #444.
Chubby young girl in dark dress and pixie stocking cap with tassel stands at left of man sitting on tree stump. He wears suit; tie held with metal slide. Wide-brimmed Homburg hat sits on stump beside him. Same subject and location inimages #075 and #128.
House interior. Mirrored sideboard in dining room. Same style hanging lamp as in image #467.
Three children (two boys, one girl) on limb of oak tree just above roof of shingled house. Same children/house in #081, #079, and #411.
Mother and three children (two boys, one girl) on steps of shingled house with address: 703. Same children/house in #081, #079, and #411.
Front steps of Trimmer Hill, at Laurel & 6th. Tuttle/Edgerly families prepare to go on picnic. From left: Unidentified mustached male, seated; Winnifred in beehive straw hat; Mrs. Edgerly; Floyd; Arthur Edgerly; Gladys, seated, Emily in striped top.
Young girl, boy in overalls & cap. In garden in front of chicken wire, sweet peas. Condition note: Holes in emulsion above heads. Same location and subjects in #087 and #140.
St. Mary's by the Sea Episcopal Church, Central and 12th, looking from back (north) towards bay. Marked "Tuttle." Condition note: Stained negative: dark at top, faded in center.
Whitewashed Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back with out-building, fence, and hitching post. Hatted man in yard. According to Lighthouse Historian Jerry McCaffery, Allen Luce was the lighthouse keeper at the time, and Luce's records indicate that the entire building was whitewashed by October 20, 1891. Pat Hathaway notes that this photo is probably the work of C.W.J. Johnson, Tuttle's photography mentor.
Saint John's Chapel at Del Monte (moved in 1957 to 1490 Mark Thomas Drive, Monterey). Designed by architect Ernest Coxhead; built 1891. Episcopal church founded by C.P. Huntington and C.H. Crocker. Shows elaborate arch with eagle emblem over gate, white fence. Signed "Tuttle" in lower right corner. Similar images: #105, #111, and #113.
Close-up of whitewashed Point Pinos Lighthouse from the back with out-building, fence, and hitching post. According to Lighthouse Historian Jerry McCaffery, Allen Luce was the lighthouse keeper at the time, and Luce's records indicate that the entire building was whitewashed by October 20, 1891. Pat Hathaway notes that this photo is probably the work of C.W.J. Johnson, Tuttle's photography mentor.
Saint John's Chapel at Del Monte (moved in 1957 to 1490 Mark Thomas Drive, Monterey). Designed by architect Ernest Coxhead; built 1891. Episcopal church founded by C.P. Huntington and C.H. Crocker. Shows elaborate arch with eagle emblem over gate, white fence. Signed "Tuttle" in lower right corner. Similar images: #105, #111, and #113.
Saint John's Chapel at Del Monte (moved in 1957 to 1490 Mark Thomas Drive, Monterey). Designed by architect Ernest Coxhead; built 1891. Episcopal church founded by C.P. Huntington and C.H. Crocker. Shows elaborate arch with eagle emblem over gate, white fence. Signed "Tuttle" in lower right corner. Similar images: #105, #111, and #113.
Three women, man in garden in front of El Carmelo Hotel on Lighthouse Avenue. From left: Mrs. Rhoda Trimmer, unknown woman (looks like Rhoda's sister), Dr. O.S. Trimmer, unidentified woman in plaid cape coat.
Close-up of seated man with dark hair, beard, and mustache, mole between eyes. Sits in yard with nearby houses visible (though out of focus).
Chubby young girl in dark dress and pixie stocking cap with tassel stands at left of man sitting on tree stump. He wears suit; tie held with metal slide. Wide-brimmed Homburg hat sits on stump beside him. Same subject and location in images #075 and #128.
From right: Winnifred and Gladys Tuttle stand near house with wood shingles. Both wear adult clothing. Same people and setting in images #071 and #132.
Dr. O.S. Trimmer and wife, Rhoda, sit on either side of screened fireplace in living room of house, probably the early cottage later replaced by Trimmer Hill. Shelves filled with shells, coral, stereo opticon on table. See images #466 and #480 for exterior view of Trimmer cottage.
Baby in wicker and bentwood baby carriage sitting on path in rock-edged garden. Other buildings in background. Picket gate with scrollwork corners at top of entry framework. Lattice fence.
Seven people sit in garden surrounded by picket fence. Woman at left has Chihuahua puppy on lap.
Young girl, boy in overalls & cap. In garden in front of chicken wire, sweet peas. Same location and subjects in #087 and #140.
Cottage interior, oak and wicker furniture, Nouveau embroidered pillows, beamed ceiling. Condition note: Negative very faint, stained.
Chinese man looking at Joss House, temple altar at Chinese village, which was located near current site of Hopkins Marine Station (China Point) until 1906.
Toddler on steps of house. Same baby and stairs in #045, #254, and #354.
Tuttle's daughter, Gladys, in white cotton dress bends over flower bouquets filling corner of room (probably apartment above pharmacy on Lighthouse Avenue). High school graduation? Same locale & subject in #255, #355, and #356.
Man in stripped shirt holds baby on knee. Sits on steps of house; two women sit on chairs on porch. House has vertical half-timbering, criss-cross fencing. Condition note: Out of focus. Same people and house in #271 and #272.
Man in stripped shirt holds baby on knee; looks at camera. Sits on steps of house; two women sit on chairs on porch. House has vertical half-timbering, criss-cross fencing. Condition note: Out of focus. Same people and house in #271 and #272.
Man holds baby on lap in garden below house window. Large jasmine plant in background. Condition note: Subjects moved & blurry. Same setting & baby as in image #357.
John Tennant Memorial Home (also known as Holiday House), was built by Margaret Tennant in memory of her brother. It was a retirement home for Episcopalian & Methodist preachers, located at Forest & Sinex, at the current site of Canterbury Woods. It was razed c1960. Condition note: Scratch at center bottom.
John Tennant Memorial Home (also known as Holiday House), was built by Margaret Tennant in memory of her brother. It was a retirement home for Episcopalian & Methodist preachers, located at Forest & Sinex, at the current site of Canterbury Woods. It was razed c1960.
John Tennant Memorial Home (also known as Holiday House), was built by Margaret Tennant in memory of her brother. It was a retirement home for Episcopalian & Methodist preachers, located at Forest & Sinex, at the current site of Canterbury Woods. It was razed c1960.
3/4 view of the front porch of El Carmelo Hotel (later called Pacific Grove Hotel). Built by same company as Del Monte Hotel, located where Holman's building now stands. Man & woman (Mr. & Mrs. James Hamilton-Howe) hold poles. Taken from Grand Avenue side. Building was deconstructed in 1918 and materials used in the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Old Parlor at High Street & Fountain also visible, with sign.
Derby-hatted man sits on park bench in garden out front of El Carmelo Hotel, with a glimpse of roque courts at Jewell Park through buildings. Hotel's cabins visible at left. These cabins were also used to house Pacific Grove's Women's Civic Improvement Club, founded in 1903, and as an early add-on to Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History's original octogon-shaped building.
Taken from Lighthouse & Fountain: El Carmelo Hotel (later called Pacific Grove Hotel). Built by the same company that ran the Del Monte Hotel. The hotel was located where the Holman's building now stands. Three woman stand out front. Straight on shot across front showing gardens, cactus & Norfolk Island Pines. "Keep off the Lawn" sign.
Front & side view: El Carmelo Hotel (later called Pacific Grove Hotel). Built by same company that built the Del Monte Hotel, located where Holman's building now stands. 3/4 shot across front porch shows palms, two men out front, bike rack. Taken from Fountain Avenue side.
Jewell Park, at Forest & Central avenues, showing tennis court with game in progress and empty roque court. Photo was shot from second floor of El Carmelo Hotel, looking northwest. Horse wagon at corner of Grand Avenue.