Coast from Point Pinos. Hopkins Marine Station in background, Lovers Point from north side.
End of Lovers Point, curve of bathing beach, windmill, lean-to, boats, and wooden pier.
Lovers Point, looking from end towards windmill, Lookout, and up to Forest Avenue. Houses along shoreline.
Lovers Point, slightly towards land end, showing windmill, Hopkins Marine Station (2 buildings, with water tank), Culp Bros. bicycle rental sign, wooden pier.
Southern Pacific rail line curves towards Lovers Point. Hopkins Marine Station and windmill visible in background. Seven Gables visible through trees.
Lovers Point (near view): windmill, Hopkins Marine Station, wooden pier, F. W. Rawley Wells Fargo sign, beachgoers in full dress.
Lovers Point, looking from end, towards windmill, Lookout, and up to Forest Avenue. Houses along shoreline.
Two buildings of Hopkins Marine Station at Lovers Point, water tanks.
Lovers Point, windmill, lean-to, Hopkins Marine Station, Culp Bros bike rental sign, Loma Prieta Lumber Company, bathing beach.
3/4 view of the front porch of El Carmelo Hotel (later called Pacific Grove Hotel). Built by same company as Del Monte Hotel, located where Holman's building now stands. Man & woman (Mr. & Mrs. James Hamilton-Howe) hold poles. Taken from Grand Avenue side. Building was deconstructed in 1918 and materials used in the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Old Parlor at High Street & Fountain also visible, with sign.
Derby-hatted man sits on park bench in garden out front of El Carmelo Hotel, with a glimpse of roque courts at Jewell Park through buildings. Hotel's cabins visible at left. These cabins were also used to house Pacific Grove's Women's Civic Improvement Club, founded in 1903, and as an early add-on to Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History's original octogon-shaped building.
Taken from Lighthouse & Fountain: El Carmelo Hotel (later called Pacific Grove Hotel). Built by the same company that ran the Del Monte Hotel. The hotel was located where the Holman's building now stands. Three woman stand out front. Straight on shot across front showing gardens, cactus & Norfolk Island Pines. "Keep off the Lawn" sign.
Front & side view: El Carmelo Hotel (later called Pacific Grove Hotel). Built by same company that built the Del Monte Hotel, located where Holman's building now stands. 3/4 shot across front porch shows palms, two men out front, bike rack. Taken from Fountain Avenue side.
Jewell Park, at Forest & Central avenues, showing tennis court with game in progress and empty roque court. Photo was shot from second floor of El Carmelo Hotel, looking northwest. Horse wagon at corner of Grand Avenue.
Jewell Park tennis court with doubles game in progress, empty roque court. Photo shot from roof of El Carmelo Hotel, looking northwest. Peek of Museum grounds.
From left: Kimura Kangelo (worked at Trimmer Hill) and Joe Nakasaka in Homburg hats. They stand in front garden of El Carmelo Hotel, near a Norfolk Island Pine.
Industrial shed, horses, laborers in work clothes, machinery. Looks like commercial vegetable harvesting.
Condition note: Negative dark.
Mrs. Snell's rose-covered cottage (from Tuttle negative sleeve notation). Address on house is 116. Mrs. E.C. Snell's residence is listed as150 Forest Ave. in the 1905 Perry Directory as 160. Derby-hatted man (real estate & insurance agent William T. Jenison) sits out front of house. His address is listed in 1905 Perry Directory as 160 15 th , and his business as 210 Grand Ave.
Same house as in image #352.
Looks like same room as in #346, some of same people.
Eight members of Tuttle/Edgerly family at Sunday picnic on Lighthouse Road (according to Tuttle's negative sleeve note). From left: standing Arthur Edgerly; seated Gladys & Winnifred Tuttle; seated unidentified man with mustache; standing Mr. Edgerly with very long beard (wears GAR medal); seated Floyd Tuttle; seated Emily Tuttle; standing Mrs. Edgerly. Small wooden buildings in background.
Photo taken same day and of same subjects as in images #082 and #305.
Eight members of Tuttle/Edgerly family at Sunday picnic on Lighthouse Road (according to Tuttle's negative sleeve note). From left: seated Gladys Tuttle, unidentified man, Winnifred Tuttle, Emily Tuttle serving pie, Floyd Tuttle (standing), Arthur Edgerly, Mr. Edgerly (with very long beard), seated Mrs. Edgerly. Camera sits on tripod. Small wooden buildings in background. Tuttle used two cameras that day.
Photo taken same day and same subject as in images #082 and #304.
Two-story house with rose tree out front. Probably was located across from Jewell Park, on Forest Avenue.
Condition note: Bottom left corner missing.
Also see # 350. Looks like same house in #298, #299, and #577.
Two-story board and batten house (original note by Tuttle indicates that Mrs. Thomas lived here) with large rose bushes covering porch. Peek of house in #444 to right. Sign in window next door.
Same house as in #308.
Two-story board and batten house (original note by Tuttle indicates that Mrs. Thomas lived here) with large rose bushes covering porch.
Same house as in #307.
House with pitched roof, bay window. Address on house is 839. Woman stands on steps; man stands in
front of fence.
Condition note: Break in emulsion at roof area.
Same house as in image #349.
Three women on rocks at tidepools.
Five men in bathing suits on rock in water. Identified as Tevis Beach on envelope, probably referring to the stretch near the Tevis-Murray estate, near the current site occupied by the Monterey Plaza Hotel.
Tree with v-shaped trunk, fence in background.
Mrs. Emery's shingle cottage. One-story shingle-covered house with entrance on side. House to right has hearts in woodwork. 1905 Perry Directory lists an Emery family at 445 Central Avenue.
Tuttle's negative sleeve note calls this, "Mrs. Ivett's sidewalk" with part of house and palm tree.
Very large rose tree covers small wooden building. Tuttle identified this as, "Miss Tennant's shed, rose bush." Miss Margaret Tennant lived at 312 Central Avenue, and owned a number of houses along 7th Street, below Central. She was responsible for the construction of the Tennant Memorial Home for Methodist & Episcopalian Ministers, and was instrumental in the construction of St. Mary's by-the-Sea church.
John Tennant Memorial Home (also known as Holiday House), was built by Margaret Tennant in memory of her brother. It was a retirement home for Episcopalian & Methodist preachers, located at Forest & Sinex, at the current site of Canterbury Woods. It was razed c1960.
Condition note: Emulsion bubble at left of building.
Mustached Chinese man, head and shoulders, white paneled door in background. Wears Chinese jacket.
Name scratched in emulsion: Tom Sun.
Chinese man, head and shoulders, white paneled door in background. Wears Chinese jacket with fur collar.
Name scratched in emulsion: Nat Wo collect.
From left: Mrs. Emily Tuttle, Gladys Tuttle, and Winnifred Tuttle (with bucket and pail) play with snow on roof of C.K. Tuttle's Lighthouse Avenue pharmacy / apartment.
Woman, boy in sailor top, baby, older girl on steps of home.
Male worker in boatswain's chair working on telephone lines above Lighthouse Ave. Pacific Improvement Company office below. PI building was later moved to Fountain Ave. at High Street (now Ricketts Row).
Condition note: Flat, dark image.
Trimmer Hill dining room interior, with people seated at set table. From left: Dr. O.S. Trimmer, his niece Emily Tuttle, Japanese servant Kimmi (Kimura Kangelo), and Mrs. Rhoda Trimmer. Elephant skin wainscoting visible, bearded iris wallpaper.
Eighteen women (most look like schoolgirls), one young man.
Woman at far left also in images #303 and #359.
Group of Monterey Pine trees with field in foreground.
Near shoreline, Lovers Point in background. Baby in wicker carriage, man in homburg hat crouches on one leg and looks at baby.
Condition note: Bromide stain on negative.
Same baby and carriage as in image #328.
Sporty young man in garden poses with foot and rifle on chair. Has cigar in mouth. Large rose bush in background. Brick wall visible over fence. Note on original negative sleeve identifies man as Bill Hill. The 1905 Perry Directory lists a W.H. Hill as proprietor of Grove Steam Laundry at 12th & Lighthouse, and McLane's A Piney Paradise mentions a William H. Hill who was manager of the Electric Lighth and Power Company.
Army training games at field. Group includes buffalo soldier pole vaulting. Tents and flagpole visible at right. Pat Hathaway identifies it as buffalo soldiers' training at camp located above site of Chinese village at Point Cabrillo (approximately where American Tin Cannery building is in 2004).
Condition note: Bottom left corner broken.
Baby in wicker carriage, young man, at side of house. Baby holds geranium flower, boy wears "Smokey Bear"-type hat. Toy attached via string to baby buggy.
Same carriage & baby as in image #325.
Tuttle's negative sleeve notation calls this, "Mrs. Porter & Gladding picnic." Thirteen women, children at picnic on bench. They drink from china teacups. Mrs. Rhoda Trimmer in foreground Emily Tuttle in back of group, and Tuttle daughter. Camera box sits at left.
Twelve school children gardening at plot next to public school on Pine Avenue (current location of Robert Down School). All girls (one boy?). Small building with tower and flagpole also visible. Tuttle negative sleeve notes this was taken by Mr. Wescott.
Three men sit in forest with terrier dog. Man at right looks like Dr. F.M. MacFarland from Hopkins Marine Station.
More images of Dr. MacFarland: #260, #503, and #504.
During Tuttle / Edgerly families' picnic, young Winnifred Tuttle traps butterfly under pointy straw hat along forest path.
Man running during Army training games at field. Board with names at right. Pat Hathaway identifies it as buffalo soldiers' training at camp located above site of Chinese village at Point Cabrillo (approximately where American Tin Cannery building is in 2004).
Condition note: Bottom right side cracked.
THE CK TUTTLE COLLECTION
Approximately 700 photographs from the late 19th and early 20th century by Charles Kirkham Tuttle, a Pacific Grove pharmacist. The images document the formative years of Pacific Grove's history more...
High-quality reproductions of most of these images are available for purchase. To order images, please visit the Use and Reproduction page for prices and order form. If you are interested in reproducing images from the Museum's collections in a publication, please refer to the Use and Reproduction page for fee schedule, permission, and conditions of use information.
Reproduction of these images on other websites is prohibited without express permission.
Information in the annotations to the images on these webpages are derived from a number of sources, including information in the Museum's archives.